Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 17 - 23

January 17

New Lisbon

Photobucket

In 1755 there was an earthquake in Lisbon, the capitol of Portugal, and many thought it was punishment from God. It killed thousands but inspired new philosophies among such hoity-toity men as Voltaire, Rousseau, and Kant, if we want to be pretentious about it.

Eventually some graffiti appeared that said "Lisbon is a weight on the mind" and this has stuck with me not only as a beautiful sentence, but as a reminder that I really want to go to Lisbon. This is a bridge in New Lisbon, WI, which I saw because the Greyhound had to get off the expressway and travel a back highway because of the atrocious snowstorm.


January 18

Above the Clouds
Photobucket

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, which is, by the way, gorgeous.


Easy Waikiki

Photobucket

Sometimes, when you're in a cheap and crappy hotel in Honolulu, sitting on a hard mattress with a good friend after a long day of travelling, all you really want is some mac and cheese.


January 19

Hawaii

Photobucket

This is the best thing I saw in Hawaii...sunrise over the tarmac.


January 20

Wantirna

Photobucket

This is the view from my new back porch.
Unfortunately my new photo-editing program is Windows Paint. This is very sad for me. Also sad for this website and not sad for me is the fact that this summer I will be in Yellowstone with no access to the internet. This means great pictures, but no updates in June and July.


January 21

Kookaburra

Photobucket

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
merry merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, kookaburra laugh, kookaburra
Gay your life must be!


January 22

Greedy Bugger

Photobucket

That is my hand, and that is a kangaroo. Enough said.


January 23

Jimmy

Photobucket

This is the new guy I'm sleeping with. He's not the most attactive, and his tongue is too small for his mouth, and he's a bit needy, but otherwise he has a great personality and he is keeping my bed warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I response to the kangaroo picture, I am guessing that that was the last time you saw your hand.

All work copyright the author. Please do not use without permission. If you really need the money I'll buy you a sandwich.